I was at echelon 2010 in Singapore and attended the Dave McClure’s keynote presentation where Dave McClure shared his thoughts on the future of internet start-ups (which is getting better and better) and why large VCs are not suitable for internet start-ups. Here are his slides.
The most intriguing points about his presentation are what an entrepreneur should avoid and focus on in his/her venture. Here are good points that I’ve picked up:
- Design and marketing skills are often lacking – Hire someone if your team do not have the skills.
- Focus on user experience and distributing your product/services
- Less is more – Focus on what your customer wants and use that as a basis to get feedback.
- Early market validation – don’t wait for a year before you introduce your product to your customer.
- Frequent customer feedback – have short development cycle to get frequent customer feedback
The detailed summary of the presentation is published here.