Info in protecting yourself from the Conficker virus
by Chris Leong
Just got some information on how to protect yourself from the Conficker virus that is creating havoc around the world. Microsoft even offer a USE250k reward to find the culprit.
Anyway, here are some links that offers good information about getting yourself protect.
Microsoft has published new information today on the following web pages:
- Microsoft Conficker guidance page for IT Professionals and those focused on security in the enterprise: HTTP://www.microsoft.com/conficker.
- Microsoft Conficker guidance page for consumers and home users: http://www.microsoft.com/protect/computer/viruses/worms/conficker.mspx.
- The Microsoft Malware Protection Center (MMPC) encyclopedia page for the Conficker family of malware: http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Entry.aspx?name=Win32/Conficker.
- The Microsoft Malware Protection Center blog: http://blogs.technet.com/mmpc/.
- The Microsoft Security Response Center Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/.
On a separate note,
A friend of mine, who is knows a lot about security has recently gave me some decent advise about security. He mentioned these few tips.
- You should not log in as an admin to do your daily work/web surfing. Log in as normal user and only use admin when necessary
- If you have more than 1 pc, don’t use the same PC for downloading all your torrents, mp3s, movies and etc, and do your online banking. Use a different PC
- Make sure you update all your patches and anti virus
It make sense, but I’m also guilty in not applying some of his advice. I guess i need to remind myself to be discipline.
Anyway, to learn the 4 steps to protect your computer. check it out @ this site
and check out my friends blog @ http://www.myownenemy.net/