Just got some information on how to protect yourself from the Conficker virus that is creating havoc around the world. Microsoft even offer a USE250k reward to find the culprit.
Anyway, here are some links that offers good information about getting yourself protect.
Microsoft has published new information today on the following web pages:
- Microsoft Conficker guidance page for IT Professionals and those focused on security in the enterprise: HTTP://www.microsoft.com/conficker.
- Microsoft Conficker guidance page for consumers and home users: http://www.microsoft.com/protect/computer/viruses/worms/conficker.mspx.
- The Microsoft Malware Protection Center (MMPC) encyclopedia page for the Conficker family of malware: http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Entry.aspx?name=Win32/Conficker.
- The Microsoft Malware Protection Center blog: http://blogs.technet.com/mmpc/.
- The Microsoft Security Response Center Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/.
On a separate note,
A friend of mine, who is knows a lot about security has recently gave me some decent advise about security. He mentioned these few tips.
- You should not log in as an admin to do your daily work/web surfing. Log in as normal user and only use admin when necessary
- If you have more than 1 pc, don’t use the same PC for downloading all your torrents, mp3s, movies and etc, and do your online banking. Use a different PC
- Make sure you update all your patches and anti virus
It make sense, but I’m also guilty in not applying some of his advice. I guess i need to remind myself to be discipline.
Anyway, to learn the 4 steps to protect your computer. check it out @ this site
and check out my friends blog @ http://www.myownenemy.net/